Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lest We Forget

The challenge over at Fantabulous Cricut is to make a card for Memorial Day using red and a symbol that reminds you of the day.  My first thought was poppies since our American Legion and VFW Posts both "sell" poppies this time of year. 


This card is 3 1/2" by 7" with the corners rounded.  I didn't have an actual poppy cut so I improvised with this image from Cindy Lou.  I cut the bottom layer in a dark red, the leaf/stem layer in dark green and the outside edges of the flower in a lighter red.  I hid the contours in the big leaf so the red wouldn't show through and cut off the leaves that were under the blossom.  There is a cut for a circle in the middle of the flower but I used onyx liquid pearls and dotted the center in.  I inked the blossom with Fired Brick Distress Ink, bending it in places to accent the petals.



I crinkled the green, inked it with Black Soot Distress Ink, and distressed the edges (poppy leaves are furry).  It doesn't show up that well in the pictures but looks good in real life.

I made this in honor of my Dad who served in World War II.  It wasn't until the 50th anniversary of the end of the war that he would even talk much about it.  We watched "Saving Private Ryan" together and he said that was exactly like it was.  I'm so thankful that he returned safely and pray that all those who are serving now will also return home safe and sound.  God bless you for your service.


6 comments:

Migdalia said...

Beautiful card!!!TFS

Sharon Fultz said...

Very pretty! Love the flower.

Arcy Scraps said...

Beautiful card! I love the inking/distressing you did! The poppy looks great! Thanks for joining us at FCCB this week!
♥ Cyndy

Melissa said...

I LOVE how you made the poppy flower!! Nice details on the leaves as well! Thanks for joining us for the Monday Challenge at FCCB!
Melissa
FCCB
scrappymacdesigns.blogspot.com

scrapqueen141 said...

Very sweet card, love your sentiment! Thank you for joining us this week at FCCB!
http://scrapqueen141.blogspot.com/

CraftyJAR said...

Lovely card. Love how you allowed the poppy to shine on the card. Thanks for joining us at a FCCB.
Judy