Saturday, September 13, 2014

Just Us Girls #258



Happy Saturday everyone!

Here I am with my second post for Just Us Girls.  There was such a lovely and varied gallery for last week's challenge.  I hope you take the time to play this week, too.

This is trend week and as you can see we're looking for water-colored cards.  Have you tried water-coloring?


There are a number of video tutorials to be found in case you need some help getting started.  Using stamps makes it easy and you can use Distress Inks or markers, other inks or markers, an expensive set of watercolor paints or your child's dollar version.  Any one of them can get great results.


I stamped these poppies from Sheena Douglas in Memento Tuxedo Black ink on water-color paper and colored them with Distress Inks.  After they were dry (they actually sat on my desk for a week) I painted them with rubber cement to mask off the area so I could do the background.  I put some Soot Black Distress Ink on my craft sheet, spritzed it with water and smooshed the paper into it.  I dried it with my heat gun and kept picking up paint until I was happy with how it looked, then rubbed the cement off.  The sentiment from Winnie & Walter's Big, Bold and Happy is embossed in silver.  Both the panel and sentiment were popped up on some SSS Slate cardstock.

For some reason the sentiment is the hardest part of making cards for me.  If I don't start out with the sentiment, I have trouble choosing one.  Then after I've chosen it, I have to play around to decide how to best present it on the card.  I tried several different options until the silver embossing occurred to me for this one - red embossing on the background color, white on a black flag with red backer flag, red on black which totally disappeared.  I'm happy with my final decision.

Thanks for stopping by.  I love reading your comments so I hope you leave one.



9 comments:

Barbara said...

I love poppies and your color combination. You did a wonderful job on this card. I have never heard of the rubber cement, but I am going out to buy some as soon as the store opens. Lol

Lynn said...

Oh those poppies are so gorgeous. Love the deep, rich reds.

Anita in France said...

What a stunner, Bobby ... I was wondering how you got those poppies so vibrant against the fabulous smooshed background ... never heard of your rubber cement technique, but what an awesome effect! Just beautiful! Anita :)

Sharyn Polesel said...

My goodness, what a process you went through to achieve this beauty! Love the bright pop of color with the poppies, and the background is really lovely! Wonderful job!

Lisa Kind said...

Oooh, I've been wanting to try out this technique! I even bought the glue! Yours is lovely and I love the background!

Kelly Griglione said...

Yep, I play around with the sentiment too, it's the hardest part quite often! It turned out perfectly here, Bobby!

Sue VanDeVusse said...

I love those vibrant poppies against that cool background! I had never heard of using rubber cement to mask, I will have to pick some up because I love your results.

Nancy said...

Bobby, Love this card! I am so with you on the sentiment placement.....but love your choice! It's always an issue for me. So glad you are with us this week!

Joyce said...

This is beautiful. I have never heard of masking with rubber cement, but I love the look you achieved with it. Love how you did the sentiment. Sometimes I struggle with that, too. If I am really stuck, I just stamp something inside when I use the card.