Friday, April 24, 2015

Inkspiratonal #80

It took a little marinating for this card to come to it's final stage and I learned a few things along the way.  Here's the photo inspiration for the Inkspirational challenge.

The first thing I saw was eggs, and then the grid that contained them.  I made my background and was happy with it but then came to a standstill.  I cut a couple of egg shapes but didn't know what to do with them.  The half finished card sat on my desk for days.  Then I finally took a hit to the forehead and said "You don't have to do a literal translation." I've known this all along but it just didn't sink in far enough.  


Stamps:  SSS grid and Artful Flowers
Ink: Versamark, Distress Ink and markers
Paper:  Neenah white and Desert Storm, vellum
Other:  Platinum embossing powder.

Another thing I learned is that I need a middle ground.  I went from a card maker with lots of layers, patterned paper and inking to cards that I was trying to make so clean and simple that I wasn't enjoying the process or the final result.   Now that I understand that, I hope I can find my style and be true to it.




13 comments:

cm said...

Bobby, your card is a marvelous blend of translating the photo using elements that inspired you and techniques that make you happy! Net result: a creation that you can be proud of and that I think is absolutely fabulous! Your grid background is a perfect canvas for your lovely, delicate, soft-blue flowers! Awesome! I hear you about finding, and being true to, your style. I've reached a point where I quite like clean and simple, yet I sometimes forego that because I 'think' I should broaden and stretch my creativity. Water-colouring is the #1 example...and I can't think of a single water-coloured card I've made that I like! Forget even trying backgrounds anymore (or for now, anyway). I love my dies, my stamps, my occasion 'colour-in-the-lines' experiences. I sometimes 'worry' (I know..this is supposed to be a hobby!) about being repetitive in what I make but at the end of it all, if I like what I've created and I'd be thrilled to send it to someone, then I"m considering those my gauges! Sorry for the babble *grin* You just tapped into something I've been thinking about too!
Hugs~c

cm said...

Back to add: thank you for sharing your wonderful card in the Ink gallery!
Hugs~c

sandie said...

Your post was so interesting Bobby. Great to see you learned so much about your style in making this card. Sometimes I try out different techniques and do enjoy doing it but I always go back to CAS, as this is the kind of card making that makes me happy. And you should stick with what makes you happy and how cool you have found that. I love you picked out the grid pattern and didn't go with eggs but those adorable flowers. Thanks for joining Ink

Bonnie said...

Great background and beautiful blue flowers! I think flowers are much better than eggs any day! I love your style!

Sarah G said...

Fabulous card and I loved reading about the process too. This picture had me stumped but you have translated some of the elements in to a gorgeous design. I think that I am more of a middle grounder than a pure CAS card maker - I love seeing CAS designs from others but do like to tinker with my cards! I love your style :)

Shauna said...

Wow! What a fantastic card! I love that you were inspired by the grid!! I did not even think about that. Brilliant! Your grunge grid looks superb paired with the pale, vellum flowers. A very creative, beautiful card!
Thanks for playing with us at Inkspirational!
- Shauna

- Bellule - said...

Elle est absolument superbe, j'aime beaucoup !!

Bises.

I Card Everyone said...

I think you already have found a wonderful style, Bobby - it's called YOURS - and this is a beautiful example of it!
=] M

Loll said...

Really beautiful card Bobby. Love the different elements taken from the inspiration photo. Happy to hear that you are finding your own style. Whatever makes you happy when you create, that's it ! :) I find that I change and grow as I learn new things - that's what makes it exciting for me. xx

Anita in France said...

Those lovely blooms again, Bobby ,,, they're gorgeous in vellum .... and so pretty against the grid and splatter background! Anita :)

Kim Heggins said...

Wow...what a card...I really love the look you created with this.

sandie said...

Not sure if you saw you top 3 at Ink for this card-we loved it x

Bobby said...

Thanks for letting me know, Sandie.