Monday, November 7, 2016

Time Out #69 and AAA Cards #77

Talk about frustration.  I should have left well enough alone.  I decided to get a Big Shot even though my Cuttlebug was okay.  It did need new plates and the handle was attached with duct tape but it's been good to me.  The Big Shot on the other hand has been a pain.  One of the plates is so warped it struggles to go through and then the cut marks (or any tape I use to hold the die) leave marks on my cardstock.  It also leaves embossing about the edge of the die - not necessarily a bad thing but not what I'm going for.

Frustration number two is with my cutting devices.  None of the three cut perfectly straight.  Well I guess the Tonic one does but I got the smaller one without knowing any better and it doesn't go 5.5 inches wide so I have to mark it first.  That means I am constantly trimming my cards to get them even.  And don't even mention the T square ruler.  That's warped too.

Okay.  Enough rant for today.  You came here for a card.  Just so you know. This is my third attempt.  Hence the rant.
I used some of Altenew's Spicy Yogurt cs, cut a MFT word from it and then 3 times in chocolate. My original card attempt included some Distress Inking so that ruined panel became my C9 leaves.  They are heart shaped and perfect for the Time Out challenge - Give Thanks With a Grateful Heart.  I'm singing it now. ;)  I'll also link up to AAA Cards for their thanksgiving/thanks challenge.

Now that my rant is over, I'll go make the bed and finish the laundry.  Have a great day!




13 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

How did I miss out on that paper? Spicy, indeed!!! Oh, Bobby ... I'm so sorry for your frustrations ... come over, and I'll do my best to make you feel better ...
=]

Shelly said...

Such a pretty card!
And oh how I can understand your frustrations...I've been through many paper trimmers and I've settled on the one I have now, though it doesn't cut straight, either. However, I've been using it for so long, I know how to place the cardstock/paper so I can get a 'straight' line...Drives me crazy but I seriously have yet to find one that cuts straight from the get go. As far as cutting machines go, I have a Big Kick and I love it. It's wearing down in the handle and whatnot but still works good.
I hope you find a cutting machine and trimmer that works best for you! Perhaps some chocolate may help, too! :)

Nonni said...

This is absolutely beautiful and elegant! The card you used looks amazing too -must get some of that! Thanks so much for joining us at TIME OUT! By the way I hear you about the devices... My Fiskars cutter does not cut straight either and my Cuttlebug would seriously need new plates. But somehow we still manage, right! :)

Lynn said...

Well I came home to a beautiful birthday card from you! Thank you so very much! Arrived on the perfect date! And your card...swoon...love the detail in the die cut leaves! And I hear you on cutters...ugh!

Jen W. said...

Grrr... so annoying when crafty tools go wrong! Sorry for your frustration but I do think the end result was worth it - a CAS beauty!

Hannelie said...

Ugh one of those days hey? But so good when you end up with a beautiful card like this!

sandie said...

I adore that card and the wonderful CAS design. Gosh you sound so frustrated and I know what you mean. I have the same problems with my big shot. Have replaced the plates a few times. I put the plates under my boxes of stamps after I have used them so they flatten a bit, it does help. Thanks for joining AAA and Time Out x

TK said...

By the looks of it, you'd never know it's a third attempt cuz it's GORGEOUS! Love those leaves, love the flecked look of that cardstock, and perfect color underneath your word die!
I'm with you on a couple of those frustrations tho, I have never found a "square" cut cutter yet...and yes, I have a CB and a BigShot...

Darnell said...

We've all sung that chorus, Bobby, so no worries. You actually said it well!! They can put people on the moon, but they can't make a "true" paper cutter?? Despite the woes involved, your card is pure and divine and another winner, if you ask me!! Hugs, Darnell

Kim Heggins said...

Sounds like you spent a good amount of time researching product...good for you and good for all us! Your card is just adorable.

Anita in France said...

Oh Bobby, I do hope Santa hears your frustrations and brings you some new tools for Christmas ... ones that are straight, true and completely flat! Your card is so deliciously CAS ... with fabulous impact ... that cardstock is gorgeous ... such a great backdrop for those wonderful inked leaves! So happy to have you playing along with us at Time Out! Hugs, Anita :)

Lisa Elton said...

Oooh, I was considering a Big Shot, now I'm rethinking. I would return the warped plates or send off an email compliant. Too bad about the trimmers. I have ruler issues!! Your card is lovely though, even with the tool issues!! I like the speckles and the shadow on your sentiment!

Darnell said...

Popping back to congratulate you, Bobby, on the well-deserved Top Four at AAA for this spectacular card!! Hugs, Darnell