Saturday, May 2, 2020

Just Us Girls #334 - Word Week

The word Nancy chose for this week's Just Us Girls challenge is
With the times we're living in there are a lot of heroes in our lives.  I don't normally have anything in my stash for this but due to the generosity of MFT, I have a digital image to use.  While a lot of doctors are putting their life on the line for patients with Covid-19, my real doctor hero is my Dad.  He was in general practice for over thirty years, after serving in WWII, going to medical school and raising a family of six children. He indulged his love of Scouting by training over 50 Eagle Scouts and attending a number of Jamborees as a leader. He also served his community and church in numerous ways.  We lost him four years ago, 5 days short of his 100th birthday.
I'm too technically challenged to be able to manipulate the image so I just printed it out from the PDF.  I'm also not that good with fussy cutting so I just cut the doctor with a stitched rectangle.  This is the third one I did trying out different coloring mediums and papers, settling on Neenah #80 colored with PolyChromos pencils and Gamsol.  The background, including the sentiment, cut was stenciled with brick from MFT.

Who is your hero?  The Design Team and our guest designer Deborah Frings would love to see your hero cards.  Won't you join them and our guest designer in this challenge.

13 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

Oh this is fab - I do like the image, and your colouring is super. Love the way you've done the brick background, so effective. So pleased to be joining you as GD this month, still so excited about it. Deborah xx

I Card Everyone said...

Oh Bobby, I find it hard to believe it has been four years already! I love that your dad was your hero - I would have loved to celebrate his 100th birthday with you.
You've colored this little doctor so perfectly - don't feel badly, I haven't figured it out that technicality either!
=]

Bonnie said...

You had an awesome Dad and you no doubt still miss him a lot. I can plain print and color. The rest of the digital stuff is beyond me. You did an awesome job of coloring this doctor and I love the way you cut him out and stenciled the bricks!

Nancy said...

What a great dad you had! I learned so much in this post Bobby! Your card came out great! I love the soft brick background...I may have to borrow that idea on my next Hero card! Stay well!

Lisa Elton said...

Your dad sounds like he was someone very special and lived a full life. This card is as cute as it can be!

Anita in France said...

What a wonderful contribution your Dad made to the world, Bobby ... and left a fantastic legacy with all that he did ... no wonder he's your hero! Great colouring on this cute little guy! Hugs, Anita :)

Kim Heggins said...

Fabulous card and I loved reading your story about your father, so sweet and he sounds like he was a real hero!

TK said...

Fantastic card, but also know that you are incredibly blessed. Your dad sounds amazing, no wonder he's a Hero!

Ina G said...

What a lovely story Bobby and an amazing Father to you all. He certainly is a HERO. Great card and layout. Love the background and how you have highlighted your Doctor.

cm said...

Your card is fabulous, but it's your tribute to your dad - your hero - that completely touches my heart! Thank you for sharing a bit of your dad with us; he sounds amazing!
hugs~c

Lisa Kind said...

Wow Bobby, your dad certainly was a hero! I enjoyed reading about how much he accomplished in his life. And your card is certainly a wonderful tribute to him!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Awesome - I love the brick bg also. Yep, drs are heroes for sure

Sue VanDeVusse said...

How awesome to hear the story of your amazing Dad! Your use of that image is perfect for honoring him. Love the brick wall background, too.