Thursday, September 11, 2014

MIM # 179 and SWC

It was rather gloomy today and perfect for spending time in the craft room.  I've been struggling but did get a couple of cards finished and the one I'm posting now is even for two challenges. That hasn't happened in a very long time.

Over at Capture the Moment, the Make It Monday video is from the ever delightful Laura Bassen. She is showing emboss resist using die cuts. You want to get more use out of your die cuts, right?  This is one way to do it, so go check out the video.  After you see my card, please. ;)


I was going to use one of my coverplates but a lot of other people in the gallery had done that and I wanted something different.  I used my triangles from MFT and cut a stencil.  I put the paper stencil over my white cardstock, inked it up with Versamark, and embossed with Sparkle powder. The sentiment is from PTI's Building Blocks, embossed in white.  Once all the embossing was done, I inked the entire card with Faded Jeans, Chipped Sapphire and Dusty Concord Distress Inks.  It looked rather plain to me so I did some sprinkling and splattering.  I sprinkled water all over and then mixed some water with my new Perfect Pearls and splattered that. I think it looks rather night time, dreamy, don't you?

Now for the struggles.  I know you all like to read about how people cover their mistakes and/or start over when a card fizzles. Well, here you go.  Remember yesterday when I said I had trouble with sentiments?  Here again it took longer to figure out what to use than to make the entire card.  Then the upper right triangle didn't emboss entirely and I couldn't tell until I started inking. Now what? Start over?  No way.  I just embossed one of the die cuts and plopped it on top with foam tape.  This will make a nice graduation card when I need one.

It just so happens that the Simon Wednesday Challenge is "make your own background". I think this qualifies so I'm entering there, too.




Thanks for stopping by.  I love it when you visit and even more when you leave a comment.

6 comments:

Heather said...

A fabulous card Bobby, lovely colours of the gorgeous background and I love the sentiment!!

Thanks so much for joining Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
hugs
Heather xx

Marybeth said...

Great save! Love the card and looks like it was meant to be popped up all along!

Virginia L. said...

UBER cool background, Bobby! Love the splashes of white in the rich and deep blue! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Create Your Own Background Challenge!

Jacquie Southas said...

Gorgeous inked background, Bobby! So much depth of color & dimension with the water spots - love your "save" with the popped up triangle.

Jo Nevill said...

Fabulous card and I love the background you have created.


Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Wednesday Challenge this week.

Jo x

Anita in France said...

Gorgeous, Bobby ... such a dreamy night background ... love the shimmer from the PP ... and what a great rescue! I'm always on the look out for good ideas for saving a card ... popping up something up is a great one! Anita :)