Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Going Digital

What an "it's yucky, let's take a nap day" it's been.  It wasn't even a good cardmaking day but I did finish up a couple and got ideas for a couple more.  Today's card is for the challenge at Birthday Sundaes.  They asked for a tall card.  Usually when they say that I make a Monarch card, which is 3 1/2 by 7 but I decided to really go big and made this one 4 by 8 1/2.  It is based on the design sketch at Card Patterns.





The image on the card is a digital from pcCrafter.  Back in 2005, or before, I bought a set of Creatables at Michaels and checked out the website of the seller.   pcCrafter started in 1999 to provide clip art  from a variety of designers for sale in what they called "HugWare."  This was how I began my cardmaking.  I had never heard of a Cricut back then.  And didn't really know to call the images "digitals."  But after seeing what some of the bloggers do with their digital collections, I decided to go back and explore what I had.   I thought this pumpkin would make a nice Thanksgiving card and also fit the format of the sketch.

Using center point on my Cricut, I cut the image into a circle, then cut the shadow to fit.  I really wanted an oak leaf to match those on the image and the only thing close was one on "Straight from the Nest" but it had a big slit down the middle.  I used Design Studio to weld a rectangle in the middle and get a whole leaf that was cut from kraft cardstock and inked with distress inks.  I embossed the cream layer with Forest Branches, added an orange print and tied some jute around it.  One more Thanksgiving card under my belt.  Yay!

2 comments:

whoistracy said...

Gorgeous! Love that pumpkin image you used. Tall cards are really fun to make sometimes. So glad you could play along with us on Card Patterns this week!

Kristii said...

What a fabulous card!! Love the digital image and the embossing is fabulous!!