There was an additional twist to this challenge. You had to do ALL stamping or NO stamping. Since I'm not really a stamper I had to do the "no stamp" challenge. The difficult part of that was going to be the sentiment. It's huge in the sketch and although I could computer generate it, that didn't appeal to me. I decided to try something else new.
Using my Cricut, I welded the letters from the MS Seasonal cartridge to a rectangle and cut it out. The little gifts are hand cut from some paper by Imaginisce and I added the stripe paper from the same stack. The Happy layer is popped up on foam tape. Obviously the word "birthday" will have to go inside. It seems rather weird but I couldn't figure out how to put it on the outside and still look good. Hmm while looking at this I got an inspiration. I think I'll be tweeking this for another card. Watch this space.
My next card is homework for the online card class.
I must say I worked quite a bit on this one. It starts with a stamped background. I have a few border stamps and decided they were the only ones I could use for this technique. We also had a color combination we were to use - 2 shades of brown, 2 shades of purple, and blue- you needed to use at least 4 of these with any neutral. AND you had to use one of three sketches. Whew! That's a lot to pull together in one card, at least for me. I thought I'd show you my "play around" sheet first. Here are the experiments with colors and how I could get the stamps from CASual Friday to work together.
And now for the final card. Jennifer McGuire made one similar to this for class.
The background is stamped in Distress Inks with Shaded Lilac going up and down and Tumbled Glass going across. The banner is kraft cardstock stamped in Mememto Rich Cocoa. I thought I needed a brown tie in in the background so I used a double dot stamp from the Best Mother Ever set from Simon Says Stamp. You really have to look for those little "extras" in your stamp sets. You never know when they will come in handy. I used Frayed Burlap for them. (Actually I used Antique Linen first but when I got the card all done, it looked too yellow so I restamped them.) I added three dark brown hearts to follow the sketch and add more of that color and it's done. Not bad for lack of stamps and ink to use. It's not something I would ordinarily do but then that's why I'm taking the class. To learn something new and stretch myself.
Thanks for stopping by to see what I've been up to. I hope you have been able to stretch yourself and have fun with your crafting.