Thursday, July 25, 2013

Camp Homework and CAS gold

On week 3, day 2 of Summer Card Camp 2, Jennifer McGuire talked about heat embossing die cuts.  Her technique made those cuts look wonderful and so I tried my hand at it.  Still using the color combo of 2 browns, 2 purples and blue, I created this card.  If Jennifer can use gold as her brown, I guess I can, too.


I don't have many dies so my image was cut with my Cricut from Stretch Your Imagination.  I cut three images, gluing two together to give it more stability.  I then heat embossed it several times with Ranger super fine gold embossing powder.  I cut the flowers from the third image, swiped them with Dusty Concord Distress ink and Hero Arts Soft Lilac, and embossed them with sparkle powder.  To show off this flower, I used my Nestibilities oval dies to cut white and blue cardstock in two sizes.  This layer is popped up on the card that is stamped with a PTI Healing Touch sentiment and gold embossed.  I love this technique and will be doing it again.....and again.

I'm also going to enter this in the challenge at CASology.



The homework for today is a challenge to do a style of card that is new and/or different for you.  Now that has me stumped.  I started making "cute" cards with my Cricut.  Then I went with more sophisticated images.  From there I did some rustic cards, graduating to the clean and simple style.  Tell me.  What's left besides Shabby Chic?.  I absolutely refuse to put 3D flowers on a card.  You can't mail them and that's how I send my cards - so what's the point.  If you have a suggestion for a different style I can try, post it below and I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks for your visit today.  If you leave a comment to let me know you were here, I'll return the favor.


7 comments:

Joyce said...

This is so pretty. Such a cool idea with your die cut oval. I do not have any suggestions about changing your style. I like your style. Thanks for always being around to comment on my blog. I really appreciate it. But, if you ever meet my DH, please do not mention how many new supplies I always seem to have (wink).

Meghan said...

A very regal card! Love how you incorporated gold into your card! So glad you joined us at CASology this week!

Ardyth said...

This technique is wonderful - what a gorgeous result! I love the frame around your sentiment as well! Thanks so much for playing along with us at CASology this week!

Darnell said...

That turned out beautifully, Bobby! It has just the right serene feel for a sympathy card. Well done!!

Melissa said...

Beautiful simplicity! I love the framed sentiment and the gold embossing is so pretty!!! Thanks for joining us at CASology this week! :)

Kate said...

This is gorgeous, Bobby!! I love the window and the simple elegance of your card... breathtaking! It's just perfect!!

Darnell said...

I'm not sure if you'll be posting on your special day tomorrow, or if I'll remember once I get up and start my day, so I'm dropping by now to leave you Happy Birthday wishes, Bobby, and many, many more! I hope you have a wonderful celebration!!