Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Group of Seven Card makers - April Eclipse.

Hey there!  I'm glad you dropped by.

I didn't realize until I typed the title of my post that the Group of Seven Cardmakers technique is quite appropriate for this month.  I happen to live right in the path of the best view of the solar eclipse and my son and his family are coming to join us (and thousands of other people I've heard) to watch this incredible event.  Yes, we do have the required glasses.  

But you came here for cards and the Cover Die Eclipse Technique.  


I have a ton of cover plates but much to my chagrin, most of them won't work for this technique.  Here I've used one from Waffle Flower with patterned paper. You need two sheets - one for the base layer and one to cut.  I added two layers of heavy white cardstock behind the cut panel.  It looked like a birthday celebration to me so I added the die cut sentiment from Altenew. It was tricky making sure the letters had a place to stick.  

A lot of the Go7 cardmakers stenciled cards to use and so I tried that next.


The flowers are Daffodil Delight from Altenew that comes with a stencil.  You have to be sure to color them as close to the same as possible.  Like I said before, I have a ton of cover plates but most of them just make stitch lines on a panel.  I didn't pay close enough attention and tried to use one of them on my stenciled panel.  Yikes!  Onward and upward I go by cutting again with one part of a plaid die from Concord and 9th and layering it.  You can still see the stitch lines 😢 but I think it's still okay.  I did hate to see the stenciled pieces fall from the plate and thought for just a brief moment of saving them for another card.  Then I thought better of it and watched them fall into the recycle bin.  

This is a fun and rather easy technique so I hope you give it a try.  










If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the subscription form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add  Bobby.bitsandpieces at gmail dot com to your contact list 
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

You may also unsubscribe using the same form. 

4 comments:

Loll said...

Both your cards turned out beautifully, Bobby!! I love the patterned paper you've used. I agree that it looks like a celebration so perfect for a birthday card. The daffodils are gorgeous done with the cover plate. Great work. Thanks so much for sharing your cards with us at Group of Seven! xx

Lisa Elton said...

I love both versions, Bobby! I also love that you can still see the stitched lines on the daffodil card. It adds interest and I thought it was part of the cover die until I read your description! We're in the path too and plan to watch with our son, should be fun!

Bonnie said...

Wow! Kudos for lining up that patterned paper! It says birthday to me. It's a party on a card! These daffodils worked beautifully for this technique, Bobby! Your stenciled coloring is perfect together and I love the stitching!

Julia Aston said...

What great examples of eclipse here Bobby - I really love that fire-works-like paper you used on your birthday card with the bold sentiment in the coordinating green! Great job matching up your beautiful stenciled daffs on the background and die cut too! I was saving the cut out bits for a while too - then tossed them - I'll be looking for them next week no doubt! Thanks for sharing with us at G07! Julia xx